Thursday, February 21, 2008

Just got a call from anesthesia

Anesthesia nurse called today for Madelyn's pre-op. I think this was the first time this nurse had ever interviewed a China adoptee. She asked me about Madelyn's history with the first question being "Was she a full term birth?" I said "I don't know. She's adopted." She asked "so you don't know if she was born full term?" I explained to her she was adopted and we don't know much of her history prior to ten months of age. She went on to ask about family history. I had to explain to her we don't know and how she lived in an orphanage for ten months of her life. This nurse was stunned and had no idea how to fill out her paperwork for family history. I went on to tell her we don't even know if April 23rd is her actual birthday.

Madelyn will always be stuck with explaining this the rest of her life. Anytime she sees a doctor, has her own children, etc she is going to be asked these same questions over and over. How horrible to have to explain to every nursing staff she encounters that she lived in an orphanage for nine months if we go by finding date but she was adopted at ten months. I didn't tell this nurse she was abandoned but that we just don't know anything prior to ten months of age except that she was considered a healthy infant.

Madelyn is scheduled for surgery at 8:30am and we'll be at the hospital about 7am. I think she'll be fine and I can't wait to see the results. I think she is going to feel so much better with tubes in her ears.

1 Comments:

At 10:21 AM, Blogger RamblingMother said...

It is sort of sad to think, huh? Glenys' bday is recorded as April 22, 2004 but that is a guestimated number.

Beverly

 

Post a Comment

<< Home