Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Count down to preschool

Last night I went to Parent Only meeting at the church we're sending our toddlers to for preschool. There's a few things I don't like about it but overall it seems like it will be a good preschool.

One thing that does bother me is that most churches and other organizations are gearing away towards Halloween. I grew up trick-or-treating on 10/31 and never, ever believed it to be a devil's holiday. First, it's not a holiday at all. It's a fun night for kids to dress up and get candy - PERIOD. So, why are so many people doing away with trick-or-treating now and going to "Fall Festival"? Fall Festival is a cute, fun idea but it's not the same as trick-or-treating. In the handbook for preschool I received last night it said no Halloween celebrated but they would have a fall festival and have pumpkins, fall colors, scarecrows, etc. It seems my generation is the one changing Halloween. Kids can play dress-up anyday at their house but Halloween is a chance to do it and have fun and walk to neighbors homes and show-off. My kids will still participate in trick-or-treating until they don't want to do it anymore. I don't dress them in devil's costumes but I do allow them to dress-up in something else fun and exciting. Two of the preschools Logan went to allowed the kids to dress up. I guess the others will not have this chance to do that at school anymore.

There will be 12 kids in the preschool class with two teachers. Logan never had a class this big. One-fourth (1/4) of the class is our kids. I warned the teachers last night. They are going to have their hands full with just our three. I also don't like the fact the teacher's two-year olds is in the class too. That means she has to be a teacher along with being a parent.

I have to get a doctor's note for the teachers to keep an epi-pen in Madelyn's class. I can understand that they need notes to administer medicines, but at the same time, if she really needed it and I didn't have a note, would they not administer it? Epi-pen is a life saver. I hope she never, ever needs to have it, but I want to have one in her bag at school just in case.

Count down - 4 weeks = 28 days to preschool. Woohoo!!!!!!

Oh, side note, I found out last night Madelyn's ballet scholarship goes through June 2009. Wow!!!! I only thought it was a few months, maybe to end of this year. It's a whole school year of ballet lessons.

1 Comments:

At 8:54 PM, Blogger Cindy said...

Hi, I just wanted to comment on the preschool with no Halloween. I teach preschool at a Church school and we have "Happily Ever After Day" the kids still get to dress up in cute costumes and we have a totally different schedule of games and activities and they get handfuls of candy before leaving the activity. Probably more than parents want. Alot of public schools are also getting away from these fun days for our kids. Christmas is another one, we can do any Christmas or Winter theme but no Santa.

As far as the teacher having their child in the class that is strictly prohibited at our school. That is way too much for a child to understand. I have actually changed positions this year because Allie would have been in my class. It is not only unfair to the other children but to that child. I would definetly question the director on this issue or even higher in the Church office.

As far as meds, it has come to the question of it being administered correctly and will the parent sue??? We will do an epi-pen with correct paperwork. It would be the director and/or assistant administering it. The most we have is allergies and most of them are peanut so we are a peanut free building and not even teachers can bring anything with peanut butter or any kind of nuts. They keep it this way across the board so it is a completely "Nut Free" area.

Wishing you luck!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home