Friday, January 27, 2006

Chinese New Year

Chinese New Year begins, January 29th. I've been watching all the posts on the adoption groups I belong to in hopes of learning more about this celebration.

This website has lots of info about CNY. Looking at the taboos and superstitions, looks like I need to get all my cleaning done today. I doubt this will happen but it gives me a good reason for having a messy place during the 15 days (hopefully we're moved out of here before the end of CNY).

"If you cry on New Year's day, you will cry all through the year. Therefore, children are tolerated and are not spanked, even though they are mischievous." This one makes me wonder what others in China really think about discipline. It's such a controversial issue around here. I'm not even going to tell my opinion of this b/c I don't want to start any "wars" on my blog.

Here's one I will not be following..."On New Year's Day, we are not suppose to wash our hair because it would mean we would have washed away good luck for the New Year." I like to wash my hair everyday unless I'm sick and can't get out of bed.

There's lots more on this website about taboos and superstitions that are really interesting. I'm pretty sure I will not be eating some of the Traditional Chinese Food due to my strict diet I'm on right now, but maybe I can find some sort of Chinese food that will fit with my restrictions. This site mentions many abstain from meat but since I've been put on a high protein diet, I can't follow this one either.

Next year maybe we can take all the kids to a Chinese New Year Celebration locally and let Madelyn experience some of her Chinese culture. I'm sure our other children would have fun too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home