Saturday, August 23, 2008

Want to know how M did on her first day of Ballet????

She cried and cried and cried!!!!

She was very excited to put on her leotard and new ballet shoes when we were getting ready to leave. She was excited to get out of the car to go in. BUT as soon as we stepped into the studio, the screaming began - bulging eyes and tears as big as they can get. She attached on to me and wasn't letting go. The teacher took her from me and walked her to the other girls and she still cried.

What did help for a short moment was a bean bag. I'm not sure why the teacher chose to give her that but Madelyn held onto that bag the entire time we were there. She did not participate at all. She did sit in the floor for a circle song but did not try to move her arms or feet or say anything and when she looked back at me, the tears began again.

At one point I even got on the floor and tried to skip around with the girls but Madelyn wasn't having anything to do with that. She wasn't letting go of me and she wasn't going to try to dance at all.

Seeing all those girls reminded me again of Madelyn's developmental delays. Madelyn can't skip nor hop or skoot around. She walks and runs - not that great but she can run somewhat. She still falls down a lot. These girls were talking sentences back to their parents. We're lucky to get two word sentences from our girl. I really think ballet would be good for her and maybe help her develop these skills she needs to catch up on, but she doesn't want to participate because either she is too scared too or knows she can't do as well as them. I think we'll give it a few more tries but if it continues to be a crying session, I'm not putting her through this while she's distruptive to the rest of the girls and also taking up a space another little girl could have in class that would enjoy it more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home