Friday, August 22, 2008

What's New?

For those that don't know, Tony has decided to further his education and start working towards his Master's Degree. Soon he will be spending many hours towards classes and school work which means more on me with keeping up with our family.

Some have asked if I was ready to take on more with our family while he does this and yes, it will be hard, but it's already tough. This was actually my idea to push him again towards getting his degree now rather than waiting. He's mentioned many times before about working towards a MBA and I feel now is a good time. He will have employer assistance with some (not all but this does help) of the tuition which is a big reason why now is a good time.


So why not wait a few years? Yes, that does sound like a better idea at the age our kids are at but that prolongs staying at the same position possibly, little to no pay raises, and I know he is capable of advancement in his career and his family shouldn't hold him back. We also rely soly on him for income so higher up the ladder, more money in the pocket (we hope). I know he can do this with work and school because he's just that smart and dedicated.


Can we afford a MBA? With the employer assistance, that will be a big help. It averages to about 2 1/2 classes free per year if Tony makes an A, B or C. I also am applying for a scholarship through a club I'm in. Spouses qualify if my application is accepted. It might be a long shot but it's up to $2k. Every bit will help.

Fortunately he's chosen an online program that will allow him to take a break here and there and have a few weeks off to rest if needed, spend time with us more, and have somewhat of a life. I will need that from him even if he's fine about continuing. I have preschool and first grade to rely on for a short break from the kids. I'll also still have my late evening hours after the kids are in bed just like I do now to get away and have some time for myself. I do see us possibly trying to hire more sitters once in a while so Tony and I have a chance to see each other and carry out an adult conversation when he can take a break from work and school. We never hire any sitters now so one every quarter would be a big deal to us.


Warning to friends and family - me and the kids might be raiding your homes more on weekends to allow time for Tony to have some quiet time for school work. There is no quiet space in our house with three toddlers, not even hiding in the closets.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home