Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Unwanted Visitor

I recently read about an unwanted house visitor in one of Madelyn's Xiushan friends on Room for Grace. We had a visitor in our house I hope to never, ever see again...a MOUSE. Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, or any other Disney creation can come here but not a little, nasty gray mouse. I was cooking dinner and had reached to pull out the drawer under my stove. When I moved one pan, there it was sitting in another pan. I squeeled. I mean I really squeeled and jumped and screeched and everything else to make it known something just scared the crap out of me. Tony was out picking up Logan from camp and the other three were watching cartoons. When I screamed, the other three mocked me and they squeeled. This little creature was staring at me. I swear it had huge, white eyes that popped out of it's head.

We've been married getting close to 11 years now and I have NEVER had a mouse in my house, at least not one that I knew of. My last house even had a basement, more rural area than I am now, and I still have never had rodents in the house. I guess it doesn't help to back up to a pasture here.

I called Tony from my cell. It was in my pocket and I grabbed all the kids and ran to my bedroom. They didn't have on shoes so I didn't want them near the kitchen if that thing came running out. Instead they got to jump on "Mommy's bed" and watch Mickey Mouse on the tv. Tony picked up some mouse traps on the way home. I kept all the kids in our bedroom while he was setting up traps in the kitchen. I had also left on the burners on the stove so I had to sneak back in the kitchen also to turn all of that off. A mouse wasn't going to cause me to burn down my house. I grabbed a chair and pushed it towards the stove and stood on it. That mouse was not running across my feet.

Tony pulled out the pans and the mouse was still in there. The mouse eventually ran from the stove to the refridgerator. I even heard Tony do a little yell and then he yelled at me "Are you sure someone with a heart condition should be doing this?" Oh well, he's the daddy. He gets the nasty job of taking out the rodents.

We eventually sit all the kids at the table to eat. Yes, we're eating while there's a mouse under my fridge ready to run out across the floor. Madelyn got choked up on some chips and Tony got up to go help her and he heard the glue trap start flapping. Good thing Madelyn was fine b/c I think she got overlooked when the flapping of the trap started. It was in there by the tail end and the mouse was carrying the trap with it. We continued to eat listening to that mouse flap around. Needless to say dinner wasn't all that great or enjoyable. The three youngest though had no idea what was going on.

We still have a few traps waiting to see if any friends have occupanied him. I have a call in with the Pest Control company we have a contract through to get back in touch with me and get back to our house and do something. I'll be wearing shoes throughout the house for a while and to bed b/c I get up several times at night usually.

And yes, I thought about taking pictures of this thing but I was afraid I'd drop my camera trying to catch that mouse running across the floor. I haven't seen one outside of a cage in a long time and I hope it's the last too. I've had a snake in my backyard and now a mouse in my house. What's next? This is my house, creatures - go away!!!

1 Comments:

At 11:41 AM, Blogger Kricket said...

You know I'm sitting here laughing my butt off, right?? I kept RATS as pets so one little mouse isn't going to bother me any. Of course, I would exterminate though. Too bad I wasn't there. I would have probably caught the thing and coo-ed over how cute it was. :p

 

Post a Comment

<< Home