Sunday, July 09, 2006

Breastfeeding an Adopted Child

I've been asked twice now if I will breastfeed Madelyn. My answer is no.

I nursed Logan until he was one year old. He quit on his own the week after he turned one. I currently nurse Nathaniel and Andrew. I've had many comments made to me about breastfeeding twins from "you're crazy" to "you're the woman" with many saying there's no way they would ever think of trying to feed two babies. I chose to breastfeed the boys for two reasons....1) Breastmilk is said to be the best for babies and 2) Formula is very expensive.

I can't imagine starting to breastfeed a child that has already lived most of his/her baby years without being nursed. I didn't chose to breastfeed just b/c of the bonding issues, even though I do feel a strong bond with my babies while breastfeeding and having that closeness. I have given my babies a bottle and I can cuddle with them that way also. Nate and Andrew do get some formula once in a while so I'm not totally against it. I just don't feel comfortable nursing a child that has been bottle fed for many months. Madelyn will be my daughter and I don't want her to be treated any different than my other children, but she will not be breastfed by me.

There are many websites about nursing adopted children such as Adoptive Breastfeeding. I watched A Baby Story several years ago where an adopting mom chose to breastfeed but she started it immediately after the birth of the baby. The biological mom gave birth to the baby at the adopting parents home. The adopting mom did not produce milk at that time but there is equipment designed that uses formula in a container and tubing is taped to a woman's breast so that when a baby begins to suck, he/she stimulates the mother to make breastmilk.

I've never heard of anyone adopting from China chose to breastfeed their baby. Maybe there are some moms out there that have and I'm curious to hear their experiences with it but I still don't think I would chose to go that route with Madelyn. Nursing two babies is not easy - three would be insane for one person to do all the time.

5 Comments:

At 12:08 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Try to visit this site How to start a nursing agency its a nursing guide..

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger Susan said...

I, of course, didn't do it, either and never even considered it. Of course, O had 4 teeth when we first got her and was used to a bottle so there was no way 1. I'd want to b.f. a kid with teeth who could chew and 2. take her away from the comfort of being fed the way she was used to. Plus, she was 13 mos old.

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger Susan said...

I, of course, didn't do it, either and never even considered it. Of course, O had 4 teeth when we first got her and was used to a bottle so there was no way 1. I'd want to b.f. a kid with teeth who could chew and 2. take her away from the comfort of being fed the way she was used to. Plus, she was 13 mos old.

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

If She is extremely young, it might be possible. I don't think it would be a good plan with an older child, and more than likely she will be in the 10-14 month range. By that time, the twins may be weaned off anyway.

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger Chastity said...

As a breastfeeding mom, I must say YOU ARE QUITE A WOMAN for breastfeeding two at once. My pregnancy started off as twins, but I lost one, and I've often wondered how hard it would have been to nurse two at once.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home