Friday, October 07, 2005

Doctors Don't Tell You Everything

This post has nothing to do about adoption but I wanted to write this down. Last Friday before our move I picked up my OB records since I was transferring doctors. I now know why doctors don't tell you everything. I knew before reading my records there was probably some information about our daughter Reagan in there that I was never told and I was right.

In my records were amnio results, surgery report and lab results from my pregnancy with her. For those that haven't kept up with my blog, I lost her to Triploidy which is an extra 23 chromosomes. This was confirmed by amnio results.

As it turns out, Reagan had many, many deformities I was never told of. I guess at that time it wasn't going to make it any better to know these. I never got to see her so I didn't know of these things. The amnio results even labeled her as "non viable" with life. I even read that there was a big chance of me hemorrhaging had I not gone to surgery. I'm not going to list her deformities here but I made sure I had copies for myself before giving them to my new doctors to keep with everything I have from her such as items I had bought for her, sympathy cards, etc. I have shared these with my closest friends and mom but most probably wouldn't want to have these images in their head. It's not a pretty picture.

It was 6 months yesterday that we lost her and it still feels like yesterday sometimes. It it wasn't for Logan, Tony, and working towards the adoption I don't know how I would have made it through these 6 months. I worry everyday with this pregnancy what the outcome will be. On October 31st, Halloween Day, we will have a Level II ultrasound to rule out neural tube defects and look for any other signs of birth defects and if there are any signs pointing to these, I will be having another amnio performed. I also believe in AFP testing now. I might have known earlier there were problems with Reagan had I not refused this test.

I miss you, Reagan, always will.

1 Comments:

At 11:56 AM, Blogger Kendra said...

Wow. What a tremendously disturbing thing to stumble on in the medical records. I wish I had some wonderful words of comfort for you, but losing a child is about the worst thing imaginable and my words are inadequate.

As always, I'm wishing you the absolute best with this pregnancy... And I'm praying for you, very hard.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home