Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Horrible Lifetime Show

I'm not a big fan of Lifetime movies. They have a lot of depressing movies but today I decided to watch one. We have our TIVO set to record anything adoption or Chinese related and this story happened to be on adoption. The name of the movie was The Baby Dance. It started out really good about a woman with 4 children already that wanted to adopt out her 5th baby. A wealthier couple decided to get this baby.

At the end of the movie, the baby is born. Unfortunately during childbirth the baby's cord is wrapped around her neck and the baby is not breathing but eventually does come around to breathing. The doctors warn the adopting couple that b/c of lack of oxygen there could be problems later on with this baby and may be a special needs child. This adopting couple decides not to adopt and the birth mom does not keep the baby. They leave the baby at the hospital.

I was really upset with this outcome. First reason it upset me was my son was born this same way. Logan had the cord around his neck and Tony never got to cut the cord b/c the doctor had to hurry and rush the baby over to the nurses and doctors to get him to start breathing. His first Apgar was a 4 - not very good. We were very happy to hear him start crying and they later gave him an 8 but did want to take him to the nursery pretty quickly just to check him out more. Never in my life would I have ever considered not bringing him home if he had sufferred any problems. Logan is a very healthy, smart 3 year old now.

Another reason it upset me was that I AM a mom of a child that was diagnosed and died from a fatal birth defect. Reagan was diagnosed with Triploidy which I have mentioned before and no one can live with an extra 23 chromosomes. At first we were warned of possible down syndrome or another birth defect and we knew we would love her no matter what.

Now as Mother adopting and waiting for Madelyn or unnamed boy whichever we are referred, I can't imagine turning this child down for any reason. No, we haven't applied for special needs b/c we have Logan to think about as well. I am on HFS's Waiting Child yahoo group and am anxiously awaiting them to release the password out of their special needs children so I can see what type of SN children their are b/c I might just see one that I fall in love with. I can't definitely rule that out but at the same time I don't want to pick my child. I can't pick what I'm handed biologically so I'd rather leave it in the hands of God to choose the child meant for us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home