Thursday, October 23, 2008

Melamine and Chinese Adoptees

I've been watching posts through Madelyn's orphanage, our adoption agency, and a few other groups I'm in and wasn't too concerned until recently about Melamine. There's been a few reports of girls older than Madelyn showing problems from Melamine so I decided to call our pediatrician yesterday.

When I first called, the receptionist didn't know what I was talking about so she took my name and number. I expected the nurse to call back but one of the doctor's did. At first she said she wasn't aware of the older girls being tested but just the newly adopted girls but would do some research and call me back. Today she called me back and informed me that Madelyn's blood work from her first visit did test for renal functions and she was normal. However, to be on the safe side, she should have a urinalysis done. I made an appointment later in November to take her for this plus all three toddlers for flu shots.

I don't think she's been affected by tainted formula but the fact that we don't know for sure what she drank while at the orphanage and definitely don't know what she had before that, we'd rather be on the safe side and make sure her kidneys are functioning correctly. Hopefully by November 18th, I'll have her using the potty more so we can get a urine sample from her while there. She's trying really hard to use the potty now but she still has accidents.

2 Comments:

At 2:59 PM, Blogger Dena said...

Thank you for that article link. I'm going to call Piper's doctor on Monday and see what she says, hopefully she's at least heard about it by now.
Dena

 
At 11:32 PM, Blogger Karen said...

If the sample doesn't have to be sterile, put some cotton balls in her diaper, then put the cotton balls in a syringe & shoot out the urine in the collection cup. We do it in the NICU all the time. Good luck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home