Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Food Allergies suck......how else do I put it?

I don't know a better way to phrase it. Madelyn looks at me with pitiful eyes signing and saying "more" as she sees me sneaking Logan some good snack food. All good snack food seems to have soy in it and I'm trying my best not to give it to Madelyn. It's not easy.

Our goal is to get Madelyn snot free. I'm working with a dietician now through CDSA. Madelyn is already in their infant/toddler program so why not get these services free while I can. It stops when she turns three. Our first step since medicines are not working to clear her up is to eliminate all the food allergies she tested at a 4 which are soy, tomato, fish, and peanuts. Eliminating fish and tomato is pretty easy. I can get around the peanut part too but the soy is not easy to avoid. Soy is in everything in our pantry and fridge. Just a moment ago, I tried my best to be sneaky and give Logan some fig bars. She saw them. It's really sad and she probably thinks I'm one big meany but I've got to find out if it's the soy causing her food allergies.

If we are successful with eliminating the 4's in the food allergies and she clears up, we will introduce them back one at a time to find out if she has a reaction. If we are not successful eliminating the 4's, the 3's will go next. Our goal is to clear her up. Unfortunately we don't know if the environmental factors are the cause either. We've done what we can inside our house. That's why now it's up to the food allergies but at the same time we don't know if when she goes out to play after eating if it's the foods or pollen, mold, or whatever that causes her to react. We may not know until she's able to tell us.

The dietician was given permission to contact our allergist. She's suppose to get back with me once she speaks to them about Madelyn. We may also be paying out of pocket for the delayed food reactions blood test as well. I've joined a yahoo group for parents with kids with food allergies and also joined the www.foodb.com allergy food database. I really need more ideas for meals and snacks for Madelyn. I've got breakfast now I think - grits, cream of wheat regular or maple and brown sugar, kix, rice chex, cheerios, just to name a few. I need to find snack food all will eat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home