Sunday, March 04, 2007

Pearl River Cruise

Last night all of HFS groups went on a Pearl River Cruise. Sounds exciting, but it really wasn't. The cruise was to celebrate the Lantern Festival, end of the Chinese New Year.

When we got there, we had to wait all in one room before boarding the ship. It was very hot and loud. Seeing the water gave me and Logan both the urge to use the bathroom. "Oh, no" was my first reaction. I didn't know if it would be the western potties or the squatty potties. It was the squatty. I probably could have waited but I decided I came all this way that I needed to at least say I used a squatty potty once. Our guide says Chinese prefer these, no germs to sit on a seat (but there are on the floor) and that the Chinese are used to squatting. Logan went first. No problem for boys. Luckily I had a travel size roll of toilet paper b/c that's another thing hard to find out in public toilets here. I succeeded but the entire time I covered my mouth and nose with my shirt b/c the smell was horrible. By the time I got out, I came close to needing oxygen b/c I had held my breath so long. This one was cleaner than the one I took a picture of at the zoo. This one flushed. I don't think the other one I saw did. It's still gross either way.

Dinner on the ship was buffet style, all Chinese food. Some of it wasn't that great but at least they had a sweet/sour chicken a little like what we could get back home but still different. Logan only ate the dessert. He's really picky with the Chinese food here. Tony didn't eat anything b/c he was still sick and nauseous.

The intercom system was so loud we couldn't hear each other. It was someone speaking Chinese so of course we had no idea what was being said. Xi Xi said they were telling about each bridge and some of the scenary we passed. That would have been great in English.

Xi Xi intertained the older kids by making paper boats and airplanes out of the admission tickets. Logan has made a new buddy with her. She's a really great guide and we are so thankful for her to help us out around here.

Other than the cruise, yesterday was spent shopping around the stores. I took a taxi with Madelyn leaving the boys behind and went to an area that sold knock-off clothing and shoes. I didn't stay long. She was cranky and it was hot and I wasn't finding the deals I was hoping for so I came back and shopped all the souvenir shops by the hotel again. Right now Madelyn has a traditional dress in each size up to size 14. It's not the American size 14. The sizes here are much different. A 2 is for a one-year old. XXL is more like L. Of course we didn't know this until after buying it. Madelyn can't wear a 2 b/c she's a bigger girl for her age even though all the shop owners keep pointing me to that size. I bought one and it will not fasten around her sholders/neck.

This morning is Medical Exam for the girls, then we're all going to the Pearl/Jade Market and then this afternoon we'll be at an Electronics store that supposedly has cheap DVD's, ipods, etc.

1 Comments:

At 6:14 PM, Blogger Kricket said...

Take pictures of the pearl/jade shopping for me! Gems and shopping - two of my faves combined!

all is well here. We all miss you lots and can't wait to see you home safely! love you all!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home