Friday, March 02, 2007

Update Thursday and Friday

I'm going to leave Thursday night blogging to Tony. I think he could tell the story better than I can. Let's just say I'm thankful to be alive after the taxi trip. I told the guide several times "please let me live b/c I want to see my other sons back home again."

This morning (Friday) we took a bus trip with our group to Old Town. I enjoyed sight seeing out the bus windows just as much as going there. I'm not sure of the history behind Old Town but it's lots of little shops of people selling all sorts of things from food, clothings, shoes, and other souvenir items. We bought silk pj's for all four kids and I probably paid more for them than in Guangzhou but they way I look at it is those people there need the money more than we do. I bought a doll that our guide said represented one of the minorities of Xiushan. Another souvenir I bought was a handmade wooden instrument that I have no idea what it is called or how to play it. It looked really cool and was cheap and I thought I could at least give it a try and learn how to play it. I thought it was like a recorder but the fingerings are not the same. Instructions on how to play were given to us......in Chinese... :( Maybe later I can get someone to translate for me.

Split pants are very popular on babies all over. Today Logan and I saw one baby sitting on his mother's lap and it was obviously a boy and he just peed all over his mama. She didn't seem to care. She just held him a little more out and let him finish and she then continued with her own business of what she was selling and never cleaned herself up. I guess this does save a lot of money that I would spend on diapers. I prefer diapers myself and will keep it that way.

I've had a cold the entire trip. It's getting worse. Now I'm feeling fluid in my ears and am afraid it will turn into an ear infection. I have no antibiotics for adults, only for a baby and Madelyn has taken all but one dose of that. I brought some homeopathic ear drops and am trying this out now. We found Tylenol Cold and Cough medicine here. Our first trip to find medicine was unsuccessful b/c we couldn't read the writings on the boxes. We later found out you just turn the boxes over and it has English on it.

Tony just brought back KFC. Yep, we're sticking with American food. If Logan wasn't with us, we could be more adventurous. We are going out tonight for Suishan (sp?) food with our guide.

1 Comments:

At 6:12 PM, Blogger OziMum said...

Hope you get over your cold quick... can't have that cramping your shopping style!

Your purchases sound great! Silk pjs are definitely on my shopping list too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home