Thursday, January 04, 2007

So, What REALLY happened yesterday besides us going Spastic waiting on the phone call....

So, what really happened yesterday besides just getting a phone call?

Tony's post earlier said we were going spastic. That was probably an understatement. Fortunately we had someone sane here to help us out while waiting on this long awaited phone call. Kricket came to our rescue that morning and brought two of her girls with her. Her daughter's entertained the twins all day. Nate had whined all morning and when these girls got here, he did nothing but smile and play. I called her our Labor Coach but Tony later changed her job title to Nurse Midwife.

Before Kricket arrived, I was in full blown nesting mode. I had to have the kitchen clean, laundry folded, floors swept and mopped, etc. I didn't finish everything I wanted to do but at least the kitchen floor WAS clean. That changed after one meal the boys.

We watched for emails and other China adoption related posts on every board out there. The first time our house phone rang we both darted for the phones to discover it was one of my friends calling instead of our agency. This happened about 3 or 4 more times. One of those calls I slide darting for the phone on the plastic floor protection cover under my desk chair. I came close to busting my butt and injuring other body parts.

When the call did come through at 2:39, I was standing in the kitchen and Tony was close to the phone. He threw a piece of paper at me and he grabbed another. Luckily he had already found pens too. He took off with the handheld phone and I stood by the speaker phone. Kricket took off with the kids so it would be quiet.

I think we were both so nervous that we didn't know what questions to ask. I could barely write down the information given to me b/c of my shaking hands. We didn't have the photos until maybe 10-20 minutes later. In that time we were jumping for joy and making a few phone calls.

I sat at my computer waiting for the photos and when I saw the post come through I yelled for Tony and he grabbed Logan so we could all see them together. The first one that came up was Madelyn in the yellow clothes. I can't remember Tony's first words but I think he was in awe and speechless and continued to comment on how adorable she was. I couldn't believe how cute she looked and how little. I do hate they shave the girls heads which definitely stood out in the photos but I was prepared for that and knew that was a possibility. Madelyn doesn't exactly have the most perfect hair but we explained to Logan that she's got hair like Andrew (very little) but it will grow out. She will have the prettiest dark hair once it does grow out. Tony even said he was going to buy her a pink band with a bow to go around her head so everyone knows she's a girl.

The funniest part was Logan's first reaction.........."But I thought we were going to get a GIRL. That's a boy!" He saw her almost hairless head and thought she was a boy. We've had many comments before that Nate must be a girl b/c he has hair so I can see how a 4 year old would think the same thing about a baby with no hair being a boy. He was a bit upset until we explained to him that she was a girl and that boys don't wear pink. He knows now this is his sister and is excited about going to China to bring her home.

We spent the next several hours making phone calls on our cells and home number and sometimes one of us was using two at the same time. I don't think Tony and I really talked about Madelyn until after the kids were down for bed and then it was while sitting at our own computers researching her orphange, province, etc. We stayed up until midnight completely exhausted but so excited that all we could do was try to find out more about her and where she's from. I crashed when I finally laid down and didn't wake up until Tony's clock went off at 6 (very unusual for me to sleep this long in a row).

Today we've received flowers from my sister. I never got flowers when I gave birth to Logan nor the twins. I also got a box of chocolate covered strawberries and apple slices from my Secret Santa in the Moms Club I'm in. I'm guessing she did this special b/c of yesterday but I don't really know for sure. (We reveal Secret Santa's next week so I'll find out then).

Madelyn's medical report is here along with a Post-Referral guide. I received her mug shot also. She has a very cute grin in it and is wearing the same pink shirt as one of the other photos.

Many people have commented on the description "Fond of Quietness." Well, it's not quiet here. There's three loud boys here. Poor thing will have to adjust but she does have her own room and own crib and can hide away in her room to get some quiet time.

She also has her daddy wrapped around her finger already and she doesn't even know it yet. She's going to be a daddy's girl no doubt.

5 Comments:

At 3:43 PM, Blogger redmaryjanes said...

Congratulations. She is so petite and lovely.

seventhdiamond.blogspot.com

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger Kricket said...

yeah, Tony was hilarious - the typical nervous daddy-to-be multiplied by ten! It was too adorable for words!

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger OziMum said...

Poor Logan! Hope he's got it straight in his head now, that it is his baby sister!!! She is just gorgeous... regardless of her hair! I didn't even really notice her hair, is was just staring at her sweet little face! And she's not one yet! Woo Hoo! You get to celebrate her first birthday with her!

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger Kricket said...

Oh, and I really need to figure out how to email that picture on my camera phone to you... what a great picture - and for those reading the comments: I got a picture of Melissa with Nate sitting on her lap, her cellphone on her right ear and her home phone on her left ear, talking to two people at once about Madelyn!! Can we say proud mommy?? :)

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger Everyone Has a Story... said...

Congratulations~She is ADORABLE!
I haven't had a chance to comment, I can't believe she is almost home!
I think she looks like a perfect match for your family! I can't wait for your story to unfold!
~Kim~

 

Post a Comment

<< Home