Tuesday, January 27, 2009

What is Wrong with My Kids?

It amazes me everyday how much trouble three minds can get into. Today's disaster is another one worth blogging. There's disasters every day but today's is a biggie.

This all happened before Logan got on the school bus. I'm yelling up the stairs for him to get his butt downstairs and get his shoes on and he's yelling back he wants to play in his room with legos and is not going to school. This goes on and on. I was sitting in a chair with Andrew when I heard "Plop, bump, boom, crash". It was a unicorn music box that I had when I was young that I had been keeping on Madelyn's chest of drawers. Nate had managed to pull the kids steps we use in the upstairs bathroom to Madelyn's room. They were out in the hall b/c I had moved them there to make room in the bathroom for some reason a few days ago. He used the stairs to reach onto her furniture to get the unicorn. I don't know what exactly took place between pulling that own and the time it went down the stairs but I remember a little whining from Madelyn. That's very normal of her. I just assumed she was upset b/c Nate had her unicorn.

I get up and chase Nate down and find he's put the unicorn back on her chest of drawers. I passed Madelyn on the stairs never paying attention to her or what was wrong. Logan later comes down the stairs and with no emotion just says "what's all this red stuff?" In this house that could mean many things so I didn't pay it no attention. I could have been crunched up fruit loops - who knows?

I finally get Logan off to the bus and Nate is saying "Madelyn got boo-boo." She is sitting in the reclincer with blood all over her foot. As it turns out the horn on the unicorn broke off and must have cut her foot. It looks like a deep cat scratch from the toes towards the heal of the foot. The red stuf on the stairs was blood. She traced it from about the 2nd step down, every step all the way down from there and a path to the recliner. There was blood all over the recliner and her pants. He butt was covered in blood where she must have scooted down the stairs in all that blood. She never, ever said a word to me. I had no idea she was hurt. She whines if barely touched sometimes but yet shows no emotion when she is really hurt. Makes no sense.

So, my morning has been spent spot cleaning carpet, playing doctor on a foot, and trying not to lose what little sanity I have left. How's your Tuesday?

3 Comments:

At 9:48 AM, Blogger Jenn said...

So sorry to hear about your rough day. We're adopting #5 from China and expect our home to get pretty hectic too. Motherhood certainly is an adventure!

You have probably already thought of this but-have you considered that Madelyn might have some sensory integration issues? If she is hypersensitive to touch at times and isn't responding appropriately to pain at others, that might be something to look at. Hope that your week ends better than it has began-Best to you all!
Jenn

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger Kendra said...

To comment on your previous comment, my daughter also has sensory integration disorder... Things that SHOULD hurt her don't seem to trigger much reaction.

Regarding your day: So sorry that your day started off in such a disruptive/dramatic way. Just one of the simple joys of motherhood, huh??

Hope everything has improved since then!!

Kendra

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger RamblingMother said...

I am thinking like the other comments in haveing Madelyn tested for something that could be causing her lack of reaction to the hurt. Love the pics. Sorry you are having a rough time.

Beverly

 

Post a Comment

<< Home