Tuesday, October 30, 2007

I really dislike doctors....

I know doctors can save lives, but they also are good for scaring the crap out of a person. I have worried for over two weeks that I possibly had a heart condition and diabetes.

Two weeks ago I had my yearly physical, the kind most women dread once a year. During that my gyn noticed I had an irregular heartbeat. He wanted me to have an EKG. He also ordered lots of blood tests, mainly to check my insulin b/c I have PCOS (with that insulin resistance but not diabetes). I had gone to a doctor out of town b/c I trusted him. He was the one that helped me conceive my last two pregnancies plus had performed ovarian drilling surgery on me.

Anyway, instead of a separate lab bill and another bill for an EKG, I decided to just go to my local family doctor, pay one copay amount and have it all done there. When I get to my family doctor, they run an EKG which shows ventricular bigeminy. All I was told was that it was like a flip flop sound. I had to come home and google it to find out more. Two days later I was having a echocardiogram. I also had the blood work performed there.

Last week I get a call that my blood work is fine. I was told my insulin was only slightly elevated but everything else was good including cholesterol, tryglicerides, etc. I asked the nurse for my fam doctor to fax this to my gyn. I later get a call that day that my insulin is not good and I could possibly have diabetes. WHAT??? Now I'm scared I not only have a heart problem but now diabetes.

I finally got the results of the echo mailed to me. Not a simple phone call to say it was normal but I had to wait on the mail. My gyn wanted another blood test so today I went back to the family doctor and had it done there. After waiting an hour and a half, I learn my irregular heartbeat is pretty much nothing and they say again I'm not diabetic. My gyn who is also a reproductive endocrinolist is suppose to get a fax of my newest blood test. If I get a call tomorrow that this is not normal, I'm not going to know who to trust. It seems I have two different doctors that go by different lab measurements.

So, as far as I know right now, I'm not diabetic and I don't have a heart condition. I never thought I was either to begin with. Now I wonder if I should ever have a well physical again. I can't take the stress all the tests to find out nothing is wrong.

And to top it off, I got a bill for the Pediatric Gastroenterologist Madelyn saw a few weeks ago. Our pediatrician referred us to a non-participating provider. I had no idea. I just assumed when asked what insurance I had and that the peds office was calling to set up an appointment then I was okay. Nope! The bill was over $400 for about a 15 minute worthless visit with the doctor. Ridiculous.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home