Friday, July 22, 2005

McDonald's Drive Through Window

On my way to Charlotte I pulled of to a McDonald's. I was wearing my Harrah's Family T-Shirt. It's black with writing over to the left where I pocket would tend to be and has a Chinese symbol on it. The young girl at the register starts reading my shirt while I'm waiting. She ways to me "so do you adopt out kids or something?" I told her nicely No and that I was adopting from China. She proceeded to tell me that she and her boyfriend wanted to adopt and then said she thought she might be too young b/c they were only 18. I told her she had to be at least 30 to adopt from China. Her expression back to me was "Why do you have to be so OLD?" I took that comment a little insulting since I just turned 30 and that's the first since then to refer to me as OLD. I decided not to explain that they prefer mature parents and just said "I don't know". Then she started asking "can you pick the baby out" and "can they speak English". I get this English speaking question alot. Do any American babies speak English at 9 months old? Logan didn't. Maybe I need a t-shirt that says I'm adopting from China and has bullest "why" and bullets for "requirements". And then at the bottom it needs to state, "No stupid questions will be answered."

1 Comments:

At 4:19 AM, Blogger OziMum said...

Hi Melissa! How unbelievable stupid are some people? But then, she was only 18!!! I'm 32, and I think when we did our adoption educational we were one of the youngest couples there! By the way, do you know where that store is, where you can pick out a baby? Twit! Take care Lee-Anne

 

Post a Comment

<< Home